One of the most spirited festivals in the world is the Oktoberfest in Munich, Germany. If you have never been to the Oktoberfest, then you should definitely give yourself a hint and visit it at least once in life. Even though it is a crazy experience, on the other hand, it is a once in a lifetime experience.
For everyone who is going to experience the Oktoberfest, this guide will help you to get the most out of your trip.
WHEN DOES IT TAKE PLACE?
The Oktoberfest is always two weeks long and includes three weekends (opening on the weekend before)
16.09. – 03.10.2017
22.09. – 07.10.2018
21.09. – 06.10.2019
Pin it for later!
HOW TO GET TO THE OKTOBERFEST?
The Oktoberfest is in Munich, Germany on the Theresienwiese, which is also the reason why we locals call the festival “Wiesn”.
From the central station from Munich, you can take the S-Bahn (city train) or the U-Bahn (underground).
S-Bahn: every line to the station “Hackerbrücke”, and from there it’s about 10 minutes walking
U-Bahn: or take the underground directly to the Oktoberfest with the line 4 or 5. Get out at “Theresienwiese”, and you will be directed at the festival. (You can also get out at “Schwanthalerhöhe” – that’s the other end, and you will get immediately to the Käfer and Schützen tent.)
WHEN TO GO?
You probably already heard that visiting the Oktoberfest on Saturday afternoon with a group of 10 people is generally known as a bad idea.I recommend to go during the week and also the first week is much better and more relaxed than the second week. Arrive early to get in a tent. If you can’t go during the week, it can also be possible to go in a group on the weekend, but you have to be there when the tents open. Kind of exhausting, but we managed it once as well to get a table for a big group on the weekend.
DRESS LIKE BAVARIANS
Visiting the Oktoberfest in regular clothes is just as half fun as in traditional Bavarian clothes. For women there are Dirndls and for men leather pants.
With these eight rules for getting the perfect Dirndl look, you can’t do anything wrong. Furthermore, you will experience the Oktoberfest in an entirely different way.
WHICH TENT IS THE BEST?
I still remember how overwhelming my first time at the Oktoberfest was. My friends told me to come to that particular tent, and when I set foot on the Oktoberfest area, I just realised that there are a lot of huge tents next to each other.
Every tent looks different from the inside, has a different beer and an in particular different atmosphere.
The tents are opening at 10 am during the week, and 9 am during the weekend. Closing time is 22:30 pm, exceptional for the Käfer Wies’n Schänke and Kuffler’s wine tent. These two tents are closing at 1 am.
Sometimes the tents are getting closed during the day because it is too full. In case of this, you will find the sign “closed due to many people” in front of the entry. Most of the time the tent will open again after 2-3 hours. Go and try another tent then or just walk around and enjoy the rides and the food.
The following tents are the best ones in my opinion:
– Hacker Festzelt: This is the most beautiful tent I have ever seen. The Hacker tent is also called as the heaven of the Bavarians. Here you will find many locals and the music is also good. On the last day, you will get sparklers for the Wiesn closing. This tent is always getting full very quickly so try to be there early.
– Schützen Festzelt: Another tent I really like is the Schützen Festzelt. A lot of young and local people are going to this tent. Here you will also get champagne and not just only beer.
– Käfer Wies’n Schänke: This VIP tent is a little bit different than the others. Besides the huge amount of VIP visitor, here you won’t find a vast central area, but instead a lot of small tables next to each other. The Käfer tent has the most delicious food and also the most beautiful beer garden.
My tip: if you just want to have a relaxed lunch or dinner, then you should definitely go to the Käfer beer garden. As already mentioned: this tent has longer opening hours and closes at 1 am.
– Kufflers Weinzelt: The Kufflers Weinzelt is for everyone who prefers wine because this tent serves wine instead of beer.
Most of the time we are using this tent as an after hour tent when all the other places close. The wine tent is also popular for VIPs as well and also closes at 1 am like the Käfer tent.
– Paulaner Winzerer Fähndl: This is one of the biggest tents, and due to that it is also the tent where you can find a table the easiest. A lot of locals go to this tent, and the music is also excellent.
– Schottenhamel-Festhalle: A few years ago I went to this tent a lot of times. Schottenhamel has the youngest clientele, and the opening ceremony will be held in this tent.
In all the tents the beers are huge and cost about 11€. You have to get a table for getting a beer because waiters are not allowed to sell you a beer if you don’t have a table. Also, you can only pay by cash. Cards are not accepted and don’t forget to tip your waiter.
To be honest, I don’t like beer so much. So besides singing and dancing, what I love the most about the Oktoberfest is the food! When you are asking all my friends what I am doing all the time on the Wiesn, they will tell you that I’m eating the whole day.
In the tents, you have to try a Hendl with potato salad (grilled chicken), Käsespätzle (kind of pasta), huge Brez’n (Pretzel) and Kaiserschmarn (kind of pancakes) with apple sauce!!! And outside of the tent eat the delicious chocolate strawberries, sausages and roasted almonds. Eat practically the whole day.
HAVING FUN ON RIDES
Oktoberfest is more than just only drinking beer. Go and have fun with the rides and roller coasters. From adrenalin, kicking rides to romantic wonder wheels.
The rides are open from 10 am until around 23 pm. On Tuesdays are family days, which means the rides just cost the half price.
Last but not least, when the Oktoberfest is closing, then it’s time for the after party. And when I say after party then I mean by it go straight to the club with your Dirndls and leather pants!
The best Wiesn after parties are at 089 Bar, Call me Drella, Filmcasino, P1-Club and Heart.
I wish you all a perfect time at the Oktoberfest and take care!
pin it – spread the love! <3